Peet, Mal. Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion and Betrayal. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick Press, 2007. Print.
Annotation: In a world at war, two spies for the Dutch resistance must trust each other to survive. But when the love of a woman comes between them, the fight becomes personal.
Justification for Rejection: I enjoyed this book and think it is a compelling story. However, I didn't feel that it fit the parameters that embody the Printz Award.
The Printz Award is an award for outstanding Young Adult literature. While this book was categorized as YA in the library, it didn't strike me as being written for a YA audience. The romance, the ethical and survival issues facing the dual protagonists, all felt quite adult in nature to my mind. While I understand that these are themes that teens enjoy reading, I would be more inclined to recognize this work in another venue.
Genre Category: Historical Fiction; Adventure

No comments:
Post a Comment