Siegel, Siena Cherson. To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2006. Print.
Annotation: As a young girl, Siena loved to fill big empty spaces with dance. As she grew older, she found that dance could also fill those places in her heart.
Justification for Rejection: This memoir is short and sweet, and has a lot of heart. That said, I found the story to be a little young for the YA audience. I don't think the story delved deeply enough to raise the important developmental questions so essential to YA literature. Really, there was no ambiguity in the story at all.
The illustrations are nice, but I find them neither incredibly beautiful nor extremely original, so I can't award bonus points there either. I liked the story, but do not feel that it is a good fit for the Mock Printz.
Genre Category: Graphic Novel; Autobiography/Memoir

No comments:
Post a Comment